String trimmers are obviously quite different from mowers, though most of the time they serve a similar purpose. String trimmers are used to cut patches of grass, weeds, and other plant growths within your yard. They are not usually used to mow lawns or grassy areas, though for very small spaces it can serve that purpose. The best string trimmers are those that are functional, easy to use, and will stand the test of time. They are generally quite inexpensive and this makes them very attractive for a large group of people.
The Best String Trimmers To Get In 2020
1. Husqvarna 128LD Straight Shaft String Trimmer
This isn’t the first or last time we’ll see a product by Husqvarna. We’ve already been through how great their zero turn mowers are and how intelligent the Husqvarna robot mowers can be. Despite all that, we’ve never gotten around to reviewing any of their string trimming products. Do they hold up and work as effectively as all of their other products? After spending a few weeks with the 128LD, we can safely say that Husqvarna did not miss a beat with the creation of this product. Power and reliability are strong with the unit, and really those are the two most important factors to take into consideration. Everything else is decent at worst.
- 28cc engine
- 17-Inch Cutting Width
- Uses .095 diameter trimmer line
- Attachment capable, 2 cycle unit. Engine displacement (Cubic Centimeters): 28
- Straight Shaft. Transmission gear ratio: 1.4
2. DEWALT DCST920B String Trimmer
We’ve had the pleasure of reviewing many string trimmers this year, and we have found that this DEWALT product to be one of the best when you consider the price – value ratio. It is a very respectable unit especially on lower speeds. In many ways it is almost identical to the Husqvarna (at least statistically). The biggest drawback is that there are people who’ve complained about an issue in regards to overheating. So if you know you will be working in very hot environments and overheating is a possibility, you may want to pass on this product. It is also a bit of a battery hog and consumes energy quickly but we can’t complain since this is true for almost every product of its kind.
- Brushless Motor maximizing motor efficiency and durability
- Dual 0.080″ line with bump feed, with 13-inch cutting swath
- Variable trigger with speed control
- Patented gear drive design. With a 20V MAX 5.0Ah battery-DCB205,the string trimmer is easy to maneuver and puts less stress on the user
3. Greenworks 40V Cordless String Trimmer
If you’ve had the chance to read our cordless mower reviews, you’ll find that Greenworks was mentioned quite a few times. When it comes to certain lawn care products, this brand is no joke; they know what they are doing. So what’s so special about this trimmer? For starters, it’s pretty ridiculous when it comes to power and in a good way. You’ll feel like a landscaping champion after using it. The unit is not particularly lightweight so you may become sore and/or tired after using it for a certain period of time. This is an “issue” with almost all string trimmers so it is not an issue we can really complain about. If you want power, go with the Greenworks!
- Up to 45 minutes of run time with fully charged 2.0Ah Battery, Battery and charger included
- The innovative axial fan design delivers 110 mph and 390 CFM to handle tough clearing jobs
- Moderately lightweight and easy to use
- 40V 2Ah Li-Ion Battery and charger included, compatible Battery and charger models 29462, 29472 and 29482
4. Poulan Pro Gas Powered String Trimmer
Yes, we’ve reviewed a Poulan Pro before. No, it was not a string trimmer; rather it was a zero turn mower by Poulan, and it was also a Pro variant. So far, this is the only gas powered trimmer we’ve reviewed apart from the Husqvarna which sits atop the list. We tend to stay away from these types of products because in many cases they are outdated and quite frankly it just doesn’t make sense to purchase most of them anymore. This Poulan Pro trimmer is quite powerful, but there is a tradeoff. The product is extremely loud and blares to a point in which it becomes unbearable and flat out ridiculous. Obviously, if you’re wearing earmuffs this won’t be an issue, but it is something that can be avoided quite easily (by purchasing a battery-powered trimmer instead).
- SureFire Fuel Delivery System. Easy as..Prime, Choke and Pull
- Effortless Pull Starting – Spring assisted starter system for ease of starting
- Auto return stop switch automatically resets to the ON position for easier starting
- Equipped with a dual-line feed Tap’N Go head for a superior cutting result. Reloading the trimmer spool is quick and simple
- Air Purge removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
5. EGO Power+ Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
Once again we have a product manufactured by a brand we’ve previously reviewed in the past. The product we’re talking about was the EGO Power cordless lawn mower. This product was also quite good, and there is a lot to like about it. However, it has not proven to be the most reliable of tools. This made our decision to place it lower on the list a lot easier. Regardless of how effective and useful a product may seem, we absolutely stray away from recommending products which prove to be unreliable even in the slightest. You can definitely say that the power is sufficient and there is certainly a “kick” when using it, but the battery is underpowered and this is a bad pairing considering that the unit is not totally reliable. Overall, it’s a good buy for the price (if your unit does not break down over time).
- Dual-feed twist line with 0.095 in. diameter
- Hi-efficiency brushless motor with variable speed
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- Weather-resistant construction
- Extended aluminum shaft with in-line grip
When Is The Best Time To Use String Trimmers?
There are clearly certain instances in which string trimmers are better options to use than other mowing or gardening products. In general, you’ll want to stick to a legitimate lawn mower when you’re talking about an actual lawn. String trimmers can sometimes beat up on lawns a bit, but if your yard is bigger than a few feet squared, it does not make sense to use one. These products are mainly recommended for small patches of grass, weeds, bushes, and other unappealing things you may find in your garden or yard. The mower powerful the tool, the bigger items you can tackle. A bush for example may be able to withstand certain trimmers, while other trimmers would completely obliterate the same bush.
Gas Or Electric?
Surprisingly, many people are still leaning towards towards gas trimmers. The argument would be that there is a smaller risk of the product degrading due to a smaller list of things to go wrong (wiring, circuits, etc). This argument could be fair, but in many cases it does not stand a chance. At this point in time, electric trimmers across the board tend to have the same amount of issues, or even fewer. Another argument is that gas trimmers tend to last longer and give you a longer period of time in which you can work. This is a true statement and is undeniable. In just about every other comparison the electric trimmer will come out on top.
The best string trimmers are much better this year than they were last year. They have improved in virtually every aspect and this makes the products more and more practical in everyday use. Many people are turning towards these options because they often are much more effective to use for smaller jobs. It is redundant to take out a hefty lawn mower for a small patch of grass if you’re the owner of a great string trimmer. If you are working on a very large piece of land however, an ATV mower will work much more efficiently.