Different lawn mowers are better suited for different purposes. If you have a small yard, then you likely already understand that something such as a zero turn mower is probably not the best option for you. Such products are best suited for individuals with large spaces like farmlands, since these products are very large themselves and require a lot of energy. When working with smaller areas of grass, it’s best to use something like a cordless or robotic mower. If it’s really small, you might even be able to get by with using a string trimmer. It really comes down to your mowing style and what kind of landscape you will be working with.
Best Lawn Mowers For Small Yards In 2019
1. BLACK+DECKER 3in1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower
Regardless of the category, it seems that Black Decker is able to find itself on nearly every single list we compile. For small yards, it is no different. This 3 in 1 compact electric lawn mower can also substitute for an edger and string trimmer, making it one of the most diverse and effective tools for smaller backyards and front lawns. When you get over a certain size limit though, it can be a little more difficult to use, so make sure your yard is indeed quite small. This is perfect for townhomes or condos with minimal grassy areas.
- Easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger for 3 tools in 1
- The 6.5 amp motor and PowerDrive transmission provide maximum performance when trimming through the toughest weeds, grass, and overgrowth
- Automatic feed Spool (afs) lets you continue working without bumping or having to stop to adjust the Spool. Cutting Heights- 1.6 inch./2.4 inch. Cutting Path- 12 inch
- Lightweight design with adjustable handle and Height positions provide maximum comfort and control
- Cord retention system prevents accidental cord disconnection
2. Sun Joe MJ401E 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
This lawn mower by Sun Joe looks more like your typical lawn mower and it functions in the same way, but it comes in a significantly smaller package making it great for small yards. Now remember, you won’t get the versatility of a string trimmer and/or edger by using this products so if that fits your needs, this mower probably is not the best option for you. If you have a ‘small’ yard that’s leaning towards being a mid-sized yard, you could certainly use this little lawn mower as it can potentially take on even bigger projects. Considering the price, it is a fantastic value lawn mower and we highly recommend it.
- The Sun Joe Mow Joe uses a powerful, 12 amp, electric motor to quickly and efficiently mow your lawn, maximum extension cord length is 100 feet
- Easy push button start; no messy oils or gasoline and no load speed (rpm)is 3500
- Three-position height adjustment up to 2-2/5 inches and size of yard is 1/4 acre or less ; Detachable grass catcher for easy disposal of grass clippings
- Compact design is easy to maneuver and takes up less storage space, rear wheel size is 5.5 inches
- Hard-top grass catcher detaches easily for convenient disposal, 14 gauge minimum rated extension cord
3. Greenworks 14-Inch 9 Amp Corded Lawn Mower MO14B00
Greenworks is notoriously known for making some great lawn mowers and great garden projects in general. A lot of their products get much more complex and powerful than this as the model we have here is one of the weaker ones you can get. Even as one of the weaker versions, it performs tremendously and can easily handle smaller lawns with grass that is not absurdly tall. It is not cordless, but that shouldn’t come as much of an issue for a small yard anyway. Overall one of the best for small to mid-sized grassy areas.
- 30 lbs., Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Convenient single lever height adjustment
- 2-in-1 operation, mulch and rear bagging
4. American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
when talking about lawn mowers, this type of product is probably not quite you’d have in mind. It doesn’t have 4 wheels and is not powered by a traditional motor. However, it would be unwise to undermine this product in any way as it is certainly capable of handling more than you might think. Especially when talking about small yards, this machine is able to trim even the toughest of grass and is a great-value item. Overall, I’m not sure there’s a better buying option than this for tiny yards. It is not advisable to use this on anything even remotely large.
- Deluxe hand-reel mower ideal for most turf grasses
- Provides a clean, precise, scissor-like cut.Rear grass deflection
- Tempered Alloy Steel Reel and Bed Knife Blade. Smooth-spinning blades, easy-roll wheels, and height adjustability
- 8-1/2-inch diameter high impact, polymer wheels With a 4 Blade Reel
- 1/2- to 1-3/4-inch cutting height; 14-inch cutting width; Lightweight at only 19 pounds
5. Sun Joe MJ501M Mow Joe 18-Inch Manual Reel Mower with Catcher
Sun Joe makes our list once again, but this time with a totally different type of mower and one that is meant for even smaller jobs. In its size and shape it almost resembles an entirely different device. Of all the ones we mentioned in this article, this MJ501M is probably one of the weakest you’ll find in terms of raw power. It is better suited for just maintaining a small yard rather than actually trimming taller grass. It is versatile, mobile, and can reach many places that a typical mower cannot reach, making it an excellent choice for tight corners and unorthodox yards.
- Easy to push and maneuver on small lawns
- 9 position manual height adjustment; Comfortable foam grip
- Maintenance free
- Grass catcher holds up to 6.6-gallon and detaches easily
- Two large 10-inch wheels and two small 6-inch wheels
Mowing On Small Lawns
Mowing on small lawns is slightly different than doing so on a larger grassy area, but the principles remain the same. These products are meant to handle much less of a workload and this in turn makes them to be cheaper to buy. This isn’t to say that they’re low quality, but rather that they are high quality in the sector in which they are meant to thrive. Small lawns are quite common for townhomes, condos, and even some homes. Because of this fact, not everyone needs to settle for heavy-duty, large mowers that you would typically get for large lawns.
Best Lawn Mowers For Small Yards: Verdict
Obviously when it comes to such items, you definitely don’t want to overspend. Luckily, these mowers are rather inexpensive yet they are still quite capable of getting the job done. Some products are more durable and long-lasting than others, which is definitely something to take into consideration before making a final decision. The best lawn mowers for smaller yards are those that are somewhat powerful, efficient, and cheap to buy and maintain. If you have all of those things, you probably have a pretty great lawn mower.