Lawn edgers are devices that are not necessarily needed by all people, but they sure can be useful in many situations. The purpose of these products is to clean up the look of a grassy area and even out the edges of the lawn. Usually, this area can be found in the section in which the grass borders the sidewalk. Using these edgers will really make your lawn appear much tidier and sharpen out the feel of the lawn. If you ask me, everyone who wants to have their lawn looking the best should consider purchasing one.View Best Lawn Edgers
Why Lawn Edgers Matter
It wasn’t long ago that people did not see the need for purchasing these edgers. Usually, people didn’t regard the untidiness as an issue or if they did, they found other ways around it. Now that we have these devices, cleaning up the edges of your lawn is easier than ever and makes the whole process much more convenient. As we progress forward, convenience and saving time is becoming more and more important in all aspects of our life. For this reason and many others, you can expect to see more lawn edgers being used and promoted every single year.
Are They Completely Necessary?
It really depends on what kind of person you are and what your specific needs are. If you don’t particularly care about the look of your lawn to the point where’d you purchase an edger, then obviously it wouldn’t be the best investment for you. If you are however an individual that tends to have some OCD characteristics, you might not be able to resist getting a lawn edger. They won’t change your life, but they will make your lawn dramatically more appealing to look at. There is just a huge difference between a lawn that has been edged out and one that hasn’t – many people can tell instantly.
Best Lawn Edgers Of 2019:
1. Black+Decker LE760FFAM Landscape Edger
This is one of the most highly recommended and coveted edgers of the year. It has a brilliant design which allows for versatile and efficient trimming of the lawn and surrounding areas. It is highly maneuverable on straight lines, but in certain instances it can struggle with curves or particularly tight turns. It does not run on gas, but it also does not have a battery meaning that you’re limited to a power outlet. If for whatever reason you are unable to plug this edger into a power socket on the outside of your home, then this might not be the product for you. Other than that, it handles exceptionally.
- 12 amp high torque motor tackles tough overgrowth creating a defined Trench
- Exclusive pull-up edge guide converts from edger to landscape trencher
- Three-position blade depth adjustment lets you control the cut
- Built-in cord retention keeps Extension cord secure
- Comes with additional BLACK+DECKER eb-007 edge Hog heavy-duty edger replacement blade.
- LE760FFAM is a kit that includes the LE750 Edger and the EB-007 Replacement blade.
2. Worx Cordless Gas Trimmer/Edger
This Worx edger is in fact very similar to the Black Decker above it and could easily be first on our list. The biggest difference between them is that this trimmer can potentially be battery-powered, making cordless edging/trimming a reality. This is a huge plus for many people as cords not only get in the way, but they can also potentially cause bigger issues as well. Not to mention the range limitations that a corded trimmer puts on you. This product is also surprisingly very lightweight making it perfect for residential work and cleaning up a front lawn or backyard. Its only limitation is that the battery life isn’t that long on a full charge so if you’re working on a very large field (like a farm) this could pose as an issue.
- 2-in-1 function with dual-position wheels for grass trimming and edging
- Converts from a trimmer to an in-line edger in seconds with no tools; No-Load Speed : 7600/min
- Two (2) 20V cordless Max lithium power batteries provide continuous power – charge one, use one.
- 12-inch cutting diameter with Innovative Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding
- Cutting line length: 10 feet. Quick-release lever for fast telescopic height adjustments to the 90-degree tilting shaft
- Dual-function flower spacer guard helps protect vegetation and acts as an edger guide
- Ultra-lightweight, ergonomic design – only 5.3 pounds! Line diameter: 0.065 inch
- Share batteries across all your 20V WORX Power Share tools so you never run out of power!
3. Greenworks 12 Amp Corded Edger
We’ve reviewed many products by Greenworks in the past. In fact, their products were even mentioned in our list of zero turn mowers and cordless mowers. Their 12 amp edger is pretty good, but not quite elite like the first two products on our list. Don’t get it twisted though, this is still one very workable and fine edger. It is corded which can present as a problem in certain cases, though the cord is very and can always be extended even further. The materials feel a bit cheap, but that’s what you can typically expect with a product that is significantly less expensive than its competitors’. Overall a good product for smaller grassy areas and average-sized homes.
- 12 Amp motor delivers powerful edging capabilities
- 7.5″ double edged blade provides robust edging capabilities and longer wear
- Spring assist front wheel provides variable blade depth
- Adjustable auxiliary handle for added user comfort and control
- Integrated cord lock feature prevents accidental disconnect
4. Greenworks 12-inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer
This is actually not a true edger per-se, but rather a string trimmer. We’ve reviewed quite a few string trimmers in the past (which you can see here). Essentially, they are meant to practically work in the same manner. The only true difference lies in the shape of the device and blades. This Greenworks string trimmer works quite well and would surprise you when it comes to efficiency and its ability to clean things up. It does not compare to its competitors, but for the price, it is actually a pretty spectacular value.
- Pivoting head allows for edging and trimming capability with edging wheel
- Electric start eliminates gas hassle, less maintenance and zero fumes;Handle Type: Wrap-Around
- 12-inch cut path with .065 single line auto feed for easy line advance
- Shaft length (inch): 40. Compatible GreenWorks Replacement Spool, Model 29252 and 29092
- Battery and charger included. Compatible battery models 29842 and 29852 and charger 29862
5. Trimmer Plus LE720 Lawn Edger
This is a relatively newer model and one by a company with which we had no prior experience, making it a first timer to our list. After spending some times with it and really getting to know this product, we’ve found it to be pretty reliable for light work. If you are able to keep your lawn tame and use this more as a maintenance tool, it can work perfectly. However, we do not recommend trying to use this on tougher, taller grass. This is because the Trimmer Plus is just not strong enough to tackle such tasks and is more of a maintenance machine than anything. Overall it can potentially work, but it really depends on how you use it.
- This Trimmer is equipped with a easily maneuverable wheel and long blade for easy edging
- The 7.5-inch steel edger blade provides a blade depth of 2.5-inches for more precise edging and cutting. Connects to attachment-capable trimmers, including Troy-Bilt, Remington and Craftsman and more
- The adjustable blade reaches depths up to 2.5 inches and the angle of the boom allows the user a clear and easy viewing path.Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Constant torque gearbox is rugged and durable. Note-lowering the wheel will decrease the cutting depth. Raising the wheel will increase the cutting depth
Choosing The Perfect Edger For You
Actually taking the time to determine what edger or trimmer is best for you is not the easiest task in the world. If your budget doesn’t concern you, then the first two options on this list are very safe bets. They can pretty much do it all and in any environment, so they are highly recommended. When it comes to very basic work on smaller projects around your own property, realistically any edger can get the job done so you shouldn’t have too much to worry about.
An edger is a great addition to your home if you are someone that likes to take care of their front lawn and backyard. It is essential for keeping yards looking clean and respectable, and these affordable devices do just that. Now, when it comes to comparing them to string trimmers and determining which is better for you, that can prove to be quite difficult. It really comes down to your personal preference and style of trimming the yard. Edgers are generally better for passive users who do not get hung up on exact measurements and things of that nature. String trimmers overall are better for serious landscapers. Click here to read more about their differences.